Re: [BKARTS] No job backer

Mary,

While I've never used a WorkMate it wouldn't be a surprise that it doesn't have the pressing power of a job backer. You don't say if the different results between job backer and WorkMate are with the same sewing variables. You also don't say what sort of spine you're trying to produce and the sort of flaws you're getting. That information would tell a lot. One thing I can say is that your sewing is almost certainly not too tight, unless you're breaking the thread frequently.

I've never been a great fan of job backers. They take up a lot of room, they're heavy, and you can only back one book at a time. Later today I'll post info and pictures of a backing press that can be made easily and inexpensively. Not elegant, though. It will be on my blog at http://www.donrashfinebookbinder.com/blog1.

Hope this helps a bit.

Don Rash

Mary Yordy wrote:
Some time ago, a couple of people recommended using the Black and Decker
'Workmate" bench (a clamp sorts with two opposed boards in the top which
can be cranked together) supplemented with backing boards as a 'job
backer'.   For me the results have been mixed and it doesn't really seem
strong enough to do the job.

I occassionally have access to a real job backer.  I'd wondered if  my
sewing was too tight, or the paper I'm using doesn't have the right
body--but when I used an actual  job backer I had a much better result.
Can those of you who recommended the Black and Decker Workmate give me
further pointers about making this work?  I could slack off on my sewing
tension more--

Or maybe I should just ask if someone in this area has a job backer they'd
sell (Raleigh/ Durham NC)?