[BKARTS] SoCal APHA Book Club

APHA Book Club, Southern California

We are planning a series of APHA Book Club events over the next two
years which will be tied in to visits at collections which showcase
items we discuss in our book club. We propose to use The
Evolution of the Book by Fred Kilgore, 1998, as an organizing
principle. Is it a succinct book of 160 pages written in a lively
fashion by a librarian. Our first task is to read pp. 3-33 on early
writing systems and substrates, and our aim is to visit a collection
in the next month or two which has holdings of cuneiform tablets and
papyrus scrolls (or fragments), probably at UCLA.

We could eventually meet at various members’ homes for the
discussions. If you don’t actually read the selection from Kilgore,
you would still be welcome to participate. It is meant to be an
informal gathering for our members. Books that delve into more detail
about the period will be recommended at the meeting. We encourage
members to share items from their collections and travels as well.

Our first meeting is Thursday, March 27, 2008 at Kitty Maryatt’s
studio in Playa Vista at 7:00. Please RSVP to Richenda Brim
rbrim@xxxxxxxxx by March 24, 2008. Directions to the studio are below.

Kitty Maryatt
Two Hands Press
5350 Playa Vista Drive #12
Playa Vista, CA 90094
(310) 439-2135

From the 405 freeway, take the Jefferson exit and go west toward the
beach. Travel on Jefferson for about two miles. Turn right (north)
onto Playa Vista Drive. Drive a block to the stop sign. Park on the
street or in the guest parking at the right. The studio is the
townhouse on the north corner of the building to the right of the
stop sign.

From Lincoln Blvd., turn onto Jefferson going east. Turn left
(north) onto Playa Vista Drive. Drive a block to the stop sign. Park
on the street or in the guest parking at the right. The studio is the
townhouse on the north corner of the building to the right of the
stop sign.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.
RSVP to rbrim@xxxxxxxxx by March 24