[BKARTS] gilding large areas

Hello

recently I saw some pictures of books bound by Tini Miura. Some of these books have large gilded areas. It does not seem to be a classical tooling, most probably the gold is sticked directly to the leather without the use of heat or pressure.

I was wondering how this is to be done? What kind of adhesive is used? Is it possible to apply this kind of gilding to any leather?

I would be glad to get some advice to be able to recreate this decoration technique...

Thank you very much

Florian.