[BKARTS] Book Arts classes at Penland this summer

I thought you all would be interested in the unusual book arts class
schedule for this summer at the Penland School. It's an amazing place
and I hope to see some of you in my class during the first session--
Mindy:

For more information, or to be put on our mailing list, contact Penland
School of Crafts, Post Office Box 37, Penland NC 28765-0037. Phone:
828.765.2359; fax: 828.765.7389; email office@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Session 1--May 25-June 6
Mindell Dubansky--Exploring Bookness
Artists have been making objects in book form for over five hundred
years. Learn about the historic use of the form in art, craft, and
design, and create new book-shaped objects that examine the book as
metaphor and container. We will use basic bookbinding and box making
skills and materials, together with other techniques and unusual
materials to design and make book-objects that reflect our love and
understanding of books and ourselves. All levels. Code 01b

Head of book conservation at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC);
teaching: College for Creative Studies (Detroit), Center for Book Arts
(NYC), Minnesota Center for Book Arts.

Session 2--June 8-20
Susan Joy Share--Wearable Books, Dolls, & Movement
We will view the book as an extension of the body, and the body as
inspiration for our visual work. Using bookbinding techniques (gluing,
sewing, folding, cutting, hinging), invented techniques, and common and
unusual materials, we will create wearable books, bodyscapes, shaped
books, environments, and dolls. In addition, we will explore movement,
improvisation, body language, and the possibilities of performance to
animate our work. All levels. Code 02b

Artist, performer, book conservator; teaching: Center for Book Arts
(NYC), Anderson Ranch (CO), Haystack (ME); fellowships: Rasmuson
Foundation (AK), Center for Book Arts (NYC), Alaska State Council on the
Arts, New York State Council on the Arts; solo exhibition: Anchorage
Museum (AK).

This class is part of the special session titled The Body.

Session 3--June 22-July 4
Julie Chen--The Box as Container & Content
This class will take box making to a new level of complexity, both
technically and conceptually. We will explore the potential of the box
form as housing and as an integral conceptual element in artist's book
projects. Students will learn to create complex hybrid box structures
with drawers, multiple levels, and compartments. We will also look at
strategies for incorporating text, image, and objects into the box. All
levels. Code 03b

Studio artist and teacher of book arts at Mills College (CA); produces
limited-edition artist's books as Flying Fish Press; collections: Museum
of Modern Art Library (NYC), Victoria and Albert Museum (London).

Session 4--July 6-18
Ann Marie Kennedy--Paper & Light
This class will investigate the material nature of paper and the myriad
ways in which light and paper interact. Students will learn about
overbeaten pulps and how to create translucency in their paper. We will
work with several sheetforming techniques, including pouring large
sheets and Asian-style papermaking, to produce sheets of paper that have
sculptural possibilities and image-based applications. All levels. Code
04b

Studio artist working in installation and papermaking; teacher at Wake
Technical Community College (NC); North Carolina Arts Council
fellowship; recent exhibitions: Gregg Museum (NC), Artspace (NC),
Asheville Art Museum (NC); work in private and public collections.
amkennedy.com

Session 5--July 20-August 5
Julie Leonard--Boxes: Practical & Fantastical
Boxes, like books, serve many purposes, one being to house and protect
information or objects. We will learn a range of box structures: both
traditional book boxes and variations on these, including boxes with
drawers, shelves, and hidden compartments. Exploring ideas of
containment, secrecy, exposure, and collection, we will consider the
expressive qualities of boxes and how they can be an integral component
of art work. Several binding structures will be taught so we can use
both books and boxes in conceptual pieces. All levels. Code 05b

Studio artist and teacher at University of Iowa Center for the Book;
workshop teaching: Paper and Book Intensive, University of Alabama;
collections: Sackner Archive of Visual and Concrete Poetry (FL),
University of Iowa, University of Delaware.

Session 6--August 10-22
Steve Pittelkow--A Survey of Decorative Paper Techniques
The study of decorative paper has the potential to inspire complete
individual creativity. We will learn to make several kinds of decorative
paper including Japanese methods, paste paper, and an extended study of
traditional marbled paper leading to mastery of this magical technique.
Along the way we'll construct a few objects d'art while building a
portfolio of beautiful and useful papers. All levels. Code 06b

Decorative paper artist and bookbinder; teaching: Minneapolis College of
Art and Design, guest artist at Penland and University of Georgia
Cortona, Italy program; papers in collections and artists' books in U.S.
and Europe. viadiscampo.com

Jiyoung Chung--Color Joomchi
Joomchi is a traditional Korean handmade paper. Textured paper paintings
and forms are created by layering thin rice papers together and
agitating with hand and water. In this workshop, using low-tech hands-on
processes, students can enjoy this ancient technique and adapt it for
contemporary two- and three-dimensional functional and fine art. All
levels. This class takes place in the second-floor textiles class. Code
06tb

Studio artist; twelve solo shows in Korea, Finland, and U.S.; Vermont
Studio Center and Minnesota Center for Book Arts residencies;
collection: Museum of Arts and Design (NYC).

Session 7--August 24-30
Cathy Adelman--Three-Piece Case Binding
This case binding is distinct in that the spine, front, and back boards
are separate pieces which allow infinite variations of color and
material. Beginners will be introduced to leather working through a
leather spine with book cloth or paper on the boards. More experienced
students may attempt a full leather binding. Leather working and
decorative techniques will be covered. All levels. Code 07b

Studio artist; studies with Edwin Heirn at the Centro del Bel Libro
(Switzerland); teaching: California Chapter of the Guild of Bookworkers
and at her own studio; 2007 Society of Bookbinders International
Competition Ratchford Cup Award for Cased Binding.

Seventh session will also include sculptor Jim Gallucci's class, for
artists working in any media, in proposing and developing public art
projects.