Re: [BKARTS] gilding large areas

hi
ref gold leather, it is usually one of two types:

spray - the leather is run thru a spray tunnel in a tannery or finishing
facility.  they use the same technique spray painting metallic leather that
they would use if it were black, white, tan, red etc.  just happens to be
spray gold or silver or whatever.

foil - think gum wrappers.  a foil is glued down to the leather.

both techniques are fairly common in the fashion leathergoods business.  you
can see versions of this in most dept store handbag depts.

ask your leather supplier if it is spray or foil.  also, there are several
types and/or grades of these items out there.

ref real gold, that may be out there, but unlikely on commercially available
leather.  real gold can be found on medieval manuscripts.  and artisans
today can apply gold leaf.  takes a certain skill.

also, you can apply acrylic paint, yourself.  artist quality acrylics stick
pretty well to various leathers.  of course, the big variable is: what is
the leather surface?  oily? waxy? if so, paint won't stick.  it really is
just like painting canvas or wood - common sense will tell you what is
reasonable.

have fun