From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Joan E. Stoltman
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:38 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Name for Blank Pages?

No answer here, more questions----is there any resource (web or book)
that gives all the various names for all the aspects of a book? I'd like

to be able to recognize different bindings, and also to know parts of
the book (cover, title page, colophon, etc. is about all I know names
for). What is the edge opposite the binding called? Does the word
"centerfold" get used in book arts for that place where the stitches/
staples/ binding shows on one whole page in the center? And an answer to

Paula's question as well---there's got to be a word for it!

-Joan E. Stoltman
Graduate Student, History of Art and Design, Pratt Institute