[BKARTS] Peter Waters DVD ---- revisited

Friends / Colleagues,
I recently had the wonderful opportunity to visit with Sheila Waters, wife of the late Peter Waters. They live in south, central Pennsylvania, not far from Gettysburg, and a couple of hours from me.

During my visit, Sheila, an accomplished calligrapher, showed me the early work of her husband, especially his bindings, lettering and design. She also explained how she assisted with the design and drawings for some of that work.

Many binders and conservators may only be familiar with Peter's work when he led a team of conservators at the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale after the devastating floods in Florence in 1966. That was followed by his work at the Library of Congress until his retirement in 1995. Sadly, he died in 2003.

In memory of her husband, Sheila produced a fabulous DVD that has been available since 2006. Since I had the opportunity to visit and personally see his bindings, I thought I would suggest that if you have not seen the DVD, that you should.

The DVD shows many early bindings by this great man who started binding at the age of fourteen. There are bindings from the time when he studied with William Mathews, and later when he was a partner with Roger Powell. There is also his work as a lettering designer, all of which is of the very highest quality. All of this and more was done before he went to Florence. Most importantly, the DVD shows the development of a man who is now called the "Father of American Library Conservation".

It was truly an honor and a pleasure to see and handle his bindings, and to scrutinize his very high standards.
The DVD will give you, as well, a good sense of Peter's accomplishments. I highly recommend it.

The 85 minute DVD is available from:
Sheila Waters, 851 Boyle Road, Fairfield, PA   17320
$30.00 includes shipping (check or money order please; no credit cards)

Thanks,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695