Re: [BKARTS] Name for Blank Pages?

Paula,

In bibliographical description, blank pages at the front and back are
generally called blank leaves and there can be one or several leaves.
>From the earliest days of book making a blank leaf was often placed at
the beginning of the book to protect the opening printed page. Later
this was given a short printed title, which eventually led to full-out
title page. The seventeenth century saw the addition of the half-title,
which served to protect the title page.

The front and back may also have a endpapers or endsheets, which are
considered part of the binding structure and may be a different color or
weight and may be decorated. These shouldn't be confused with with
unprinted preliminary leaves, which serve a different purpose. In fine
bookmaking it is not unusual to place multiple unprinted leaves at the
front or back of a book to give it an "elegant" look. When I am
designing trade books, I will sometimes have to add a blank leaf or two
at the front and/or back to keep my page numbers divisible by eight for
correct signatures.

Hope that helps.

-- Bob

********************************