Black color is only a pigment. Many of the black papers are not light fast, but the pigment color is not acidic., perhaps the dyes are and that would be true for any dyed color paper. I would suggest buying a sample pack of papers and do a litmus test. PH neutral is only one of the qualities to look for.

In any case uv light will act on just about any material and should be avoided.
Charlie
On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Julie Sullivan wrote:

Aaron - My question arises from the memory of a discussion I attended at a fine art/decorative paper store many years ago. The proprietor was very knowledgeable about the properties of paper and I remember her stating that there was no such thing as acid-free/ low acid black paper. The reason given escapes me now, but my foggy memory seems to point to the chemicals or dyes necessary to create black. The discussion was in light of the growing use of the term "acid-free" relating to the scrapbooking craze, which was just getting started at the time. And I would agree with how the terms acid-free and archival are used today.

Julie

On Mar 11, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Aaron Salik wrote:

Date:    Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:29:06 -0500
From:    Julie Sullivan <julie3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: In search of Black Roll paper..

I had once heard that it was impossible to make black paper totally
acid free. Is that true?

Julie Sullivan

I'm not sure if I want to touch this one. Today acid-free / archival has
become more of an advertising fad than anything with a true definition.

In its strictest definition, acid free means that something has a Ph of 7 or
above. However keep in mind that dry materials do not have a pH, the value
of a pH only exists in liquids. If we extrapolate on this and say what the
pH of the slurry is in the papermaking process then you may be able to
obtain something relatively close to an indication of its former pH value.

However what does the pH really tell us? Is it any indication of quality,
permanence, etc? You can make paper from 100% lignin, which is the plant
fiber which is explicitly avoided in high permanence papers, and add a
chemical to it to raise the pH to a point above 7, basically making an
acid-free piece of junk. There is certainly nothing untrue about calling
this paper acid-free, but I would say it is anything from high quality and
long lasting.

To Julie and others: When you ask this question, what is your definition of
acid-free? Archival would be another fun one to tackle.

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
20 West 20th Street