Re: [BKARTS] In search of Black Roll paper..

What about Cave Paper's Degener Black? I've never done a litmus test on it, but it comes in large sheets, and flax is used to make linen - and thus, rags of linen that have been used in paper for centuries.

Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Ok, is there 100% rag - cotton or otherwise - in black, in large
sheets or rolls available? And then, being rag, is that archival?

Kathy G

On Mar 11, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Aaron Salik wrote:

>> Date:    Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:29:06 -0500
>> From:    Julie Sullivan
>> Subject: Re: In search of Black Roll paper..
>>
>> I had once heard that it was impossible to make black paper totally
>> acid free. Is that true?
>>
>> Julie Sullivan
>
> I'm not sure if I want to touch this one.  Today acid-free /
> archival has
> become more of an advertising fad than anything with a true
> definition.
>
> In its strictest definition, acid free means that something has a
> Ph of 7 or
> above.  However keep in mind that dry materials do not have a pH,
> the value
> of a pH only exists in liquids.  If we extrapolate on this and say
> what the
> pH of the slurry is in the papermaking process then you may be able to
> obtain something relatively close to an indication of its former pH
> value.
>
> However what does the pH really tell us?  Is it any indication of
> quality,
> permanence, etc?  You can make paper from 100% lignin, which is the
> plant
> fiber which is explicitly avoided in high permanence papers, and add a
> chemical to it to raise the pH to a point above 7, basically making an
> acid-free piece of junk.  There is certainly nothing untrue about
> calling
> this paper acid-free, but I would say it is anything from high
> quality and
> long lasting.
>
> To Julie and others:  When you ask this question, what is your
> definition of
> acid-free?  Archival would be another fun one to tackle.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron Salik
>
> Talas
> 20 West 20th Street
> New York, NY 10011
> 212-219-0770 Phone
> 212-219-0735 Fax
> http://talasonline.com

>           See  for full information

Every Day Is a New Beginning

   "The friendships we develop determine the quality of our own
souls"  Joan Chittister, OSB

          See  for full information

Member Artist of www.inliquid.com