[BKARTS] Upcoming workshops at the Center for Book Arts

Greetings from the Center for Book Arts:

There are still slots available in the following exciting classes coming up
this spring at the Center. You can register over the phone by calling us at
212-481-0295, or through our website:
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/classes/

Bookbinding III

Students will continue an overview of traditional binding structures using
unique and alternative materials; the limp vellum, the K118, and a ledger
binding.  Vellum is featured in each - as an interior spine lining, or as
sewing supports or as a cover material. Historically bookbinding vellum
could be as simple as a recycled manuscript page, the text still visible.
In this spirit, students will be encouraged to examine binding unique
materials for qualities that suit a particular use and to explore
intelligent alternatives.  Fabric, paper, plastic, Tyvek, Gore-Tex, dental
floss and neoprene come to mind.

Prerequisite: Bookbinding II

March 24-30, Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4pm         Susan Mills
$475 members /$500 non-members +$25 materials fee

A Sewing Marathon: All About the Pamphlet

The pamphlet  --  a single gathering of pages  --  is one of the most
beautiful and accessible book formats. Artists and printers will find
immediate application of these simple decorative, sewn bindings to their own
work. With the sewing either hidden or exalted, the dilemma of how to bind a
single section disappears. We will make well over a dozen models, all sewn
into handmade paper wrappers, and boxed in sets defined by their embroidered
patterns. You are welcome to bring along your own small editions (printed),
to bind at the week's end.

May 19-23, Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4pm Barbara Mauriello
$475 members /$500non-members

LO-Tech/HI-Quality Photopolymer Platemaking: for Text & Image Generation

This class will appeal to a variety of people interested in letterpress
printing: from graphic designers and illustrators to printmakers, fine
artists, calligraphers, and more. All levels are welcome to explore an array
of options for turning image and text into the medium of print. We will
focus mostly on alternative photopolymer platemaking techniques, including
how to get set up to make quality plates without a lot of expensive
equipment. We will not only look at equipment options but also investigate a
variety of techniques for platemaking and ways of exploring the process
itself. Once the technical aspects are covered, class participants will make
a series of prints combining text and image to exchange with one another.

March 29-30, Saturday & Sunday, 10am-4pm       Inge Bruggeman
$245 members /$260 non-members

Four-Color Printing from Polymer Plates

Polymer plate printing at its most exquisite; by layering four colors of ink
one on top of the other, you can produce full color images that are richly
detailed and luminous. We will cover the digital pre-press work, learning
how-to separate our full color images (photographs or digital collages) into
cyan, magenta, yellow and black in Photoshop. Then we will explore the
technical challenges of registering our printed images from one plate to the
next with excursions into the nuances of papers, inks, line-screens,
packing, etc. Students should have previous experience with letterpress
printing and previous experience with Photoshop is helpful.

April 14-18, Monday through Friday, 10am to 4pm Karen Randall
$475 members /$500 non-members

Sarah Nicholls

Program Manager

The Center for Book Arts