Re: [BKARTS] Query: Binding offprints

David,
First, I would suggest that all materials in a book should be flush to the head, otherwise you are inviting an accumulation of stuff (dust) in that area.
When we were binding similar items of various sizes, we added stubs, spacers or extensions: narrow items were always flush to the fore edge by attaching the item to an extension or support of a suitable strength. Items that were shorter needed a stub of paper ---------- we had sheets of plain paper that were perforated about 1/2" from the edge; a suitable thickness of paper was gathered for the thickness of the item, and cut to fill the void. After the binding was completed, the extra (waste) paper was torn along the perforation, thus leaving the small 1/2" stub in the spine.
While the structure was not ideal, at least the void was at the tail of the book --- the problem is that now more material is hanging in the air and pulling on the binding structure. Fortunately, these were not important, long term valuable books. But, I guess I would use some of the same criteria if I were faced with a similar project such as yours.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter