Re: [BKARTS] Gothic Type

What is the difference between [lead type and foundry type] and how do I know which one I have bought?

Foundry type is an alloy of lead, tin and antimony. It is much harder than lead, though softer compared to brass or zinc.

The visual difference between plain lead type (monotype) and foundry type is that monotype has a square nick whereas foundry type has a round nick.

McGrew: American Metal Typefaces of the C20th, states that the reason for the nick is to be able to identify the base of the piece for compositing purposes, but our experience has shown that it also identifies the difference between monotype and foundry type.

David