[BKARTS] Call for Artwork

This exhibit is open to any artist who wishes to make a statement about the inspiration to be found in industrial areas, about where artists are happy living and working or about the difficulties that we face in finding affordable, suitable places to live and work. For those who live in New England, we invite you to come, find and use as inspiration, anything within 1/8 mile of the Western Avenue Studios Complex. But it isn't necessary to come to Lowell - we invite you to find inspiration in your particular industrial area.

The story . . .

On January 28, 2008, the Lowell, MA Zoning Board of Appeals denied a special permit to the Western Avenue Lofts project which would have provided 48 perpetually affordable artist-owned live/work spaces in the G-Mill of the Western Avenue Studios Complex.

Zoning Board members argued that the Western Avenue area is too dirty, smelly and noisy to be conducive to creativity. They also declared that artists would not be happy living and working in an industrial area, and that no one would want to be located right next to the Pawtucket Canal.

The more than 160 artists who work in the 121 studios located in the Main building and A-Mill of the complex take exception to these arguments!

During the month of June 2008 the artists at Western Avenue Studios are inviting artists to comment on the Zoning Board members arguments . . . for a full prospectus go to www.dirtysmellynoisy.com