Re: [BKARTS] Gluing Leather to Buckram, or other suggestions for attaching a metal cover to a book.

Considering the usually heavy weight of a wedding album's text, I would go with option 2. You could also use rivets (short lengths of tubing, tapped to turn down the edges to secure them) to attach the metal to the cloth or leather-covered boards. Or you can use brads or little nails through the cover, clipping and bending them into the cover boards. If the clietn wants metal, perhaps you can use the nails or brads in a decorative way to emphasize the metallic look of the album. Actually, I think leather would be a waste here if it is going to be covered. You can always put a strip of leather around the edge, overlapping onto the cover board and inside of the cover to give the beauty of leather to the edges.
Sounds like an enjoyable project!

Signa

Jim Karr wrote:
For one of the wedding albums I am currently binding, my client wants a metal cover on her wedding album. I've acquired some 36guage brushed stainless steel to mount as the cover. I had 2 thoughts on how to mount the steel.
One was to use the high strength Filmoplast T to attach to tape the metal to the spine of the book. If I did this front and back, I figured that it would be strong enough, but then the problem would be attaching the block to the metal, which I'd assume a really strong double sided adhesive sheet would do just fine.

Option two would be to create my cover with buckram or leather and then attach the metal to the front using strong double sided adhesive.

Any thoughts?

Thank You