Re: [BKARTS] shipping options

Aaron-

Thanks for your reply. I think this says a lot about a vendor when they take the time to actually respond to things like this.

As for FedEx ground, I wish they had better service here. One order I placed from Talas a few weeks ago is common to what happens with FedEx ground. Two boxes shipped from Talas on the same day, one box shows up on Friday, the other (that is sitting in a warehouse 8 miles away) was delayed by weather??

Order #2, I placed from Dick Blick last week. Again, 2 boxes. Order should be delivered Friday, tracking says, "delivery attempt made." Really? I was here all day and nobody rang the bell. So today, driver shows up at 10AM with one box. One. Where is the second? I go to tracking and it shows they just received billing info, Blick thinks they left it on the dock.

FedEx ground has just been agonizing to say the least. I hate to say it, but when companies only ship with FedEx ground, I go out of my way to find another vendor for those items I am purchasing. Only after I have exhausted my possibilities will I order from the vendor shipping with FedEx. That's how bad they are in my area.

As a business owner I understand controlling losses. I wish there were a better solution to this problem, as it is very frustrating and honestly I can't justify shipping things overnight just so I have FedEx deliver it, not ground. Although, second day might be an alternative... I guess it depends on the weight, as that can get costly.

Jim

Aaron Salik wrote:
As a shipper of about 100 packages a day, I can say that we have a fair
amount of experiences (both positive and negative) with just about all
shipping carriers, and would like to respond to statements that have been
made.

First off it is important to state with the world (US and outside areas) as
large as it is, every shipping company has areas that they serve better than
others.  We have plenty of customers that wish we didn't use FedEx Ground,
but we also have plenty of customers who specifically state not to send by
UPS, as again each company serves certain areas better than others.  I am
sincerely sorry if you are a person that resides in an area where a carrier
that we do not use serves your area better than others available.

FedEx Ground and UPS Ground service as far as services available, price, etc
are exactly identical - to the point that it is kind of scary.  But by in
large our claims (and this includes damage, loss, non-delivery, etc) are
down about 20% with FedEx Ground compared to UPS, and that to us is very
important for customers receiving their merchandise in good working order.

I would also like to comment about shipping by mail. We do ship by mail,
it's outlined on our web site, but again as a shipper of lots of packages I
think I know what they are good at and what they are not. They are good for
letters, small parcels, and things of this nature. However if something
goes wrong you are completely out of luck trying to figure out what the
problem is, where your package is, or when you will receive it. Have you
ever tried to find a phone number on the USPS web site? It's quite comical.
Also I am unsure if you have ever tried to submit a claim on loss or damage,
but purchasing additional insurance is simply a waste of money, as the USPS
does not pay claims.

So we do ship by mail, and certainly advise people to do so on small
international orders of little value and are not time sensitive, where it is
worth the risk.  However we state that on orders shipped out by mail we will
not accept a claim for loss or damage in transit, it is at the customers
risk.

So like many things in life I do think you get what you pay for when
employing the services of a currier such as FedEx or UPS rather than
shipping by mail.  It is just a question as to what is appropriate for your
needs.

Regards,
Aaron Salik
Talas