Re: [BKARTS] shipping options

Sounds like a great topic for a visual book.

Liz
----- Original Message ----- From: "philip zimmermann" <pzimmermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] shipping options

As Aaron says, service varies in different areas, but my experience with DSL
has been terrible. As far as I can tell the only thing they are good at is
international service. They are more places overseas than anyone else, so in
many cases they are the only way to go. For domestic service they are awful,
late shipment, lying when they say that they attempted delivery, damaged
boxes, you name it.

About 7 or 8 years ago a DSL driver stole my son's skateboard off a back
porch where packages are left. Although I can't prove it. It was there
before the driver came (my son had just ridden it) and it was not there
after the package was dropped off... In my area the drivers come from Albany
so they are not local or live in the community. Again, I can't prove it, but
I think it is pretty certain that this driver took it. One bad apple? Who
knows, but I know by name both my UPS driver and my FedEx man and they are
great people who live in the community and know me.

I used to have an account with, and used frequently, Airborne Express, which
used to be cheaper than most and they were very reliable. DSL bought them
out a couple of years ago. I miss them. I have had several packages
delivered by DSL that look like they have been run over by a truck.

I few weeks ago I ordered something on Amazon and to my dismay found out
that Amazon is using DSL now because they are cheaper. (I have Amazon's
Priority second day service). Take a look at the package tracking below,
which I copied off of my Amazon account. I ordered it on March 3rd.

Date Time Location Event Details
March 11, 2008 01:30:00 PM TUCSON AZ UNITED STATES Delivery
attempted
March 11, 2008 05:29:00 AM WILMINGTON OH UNITED STATES Departure
Scan
March 11, 2008 05:20:00 AM PHOENIX AZ UNITED STATES Departure Scan
March 11, 2008 05:09:00 AM PHOENIX AZ UNITED STATES Arrival Scan
March 11, 2008 02:45:00 AM WILMINGTON OH UNITED STATES In transit
March 11, 2008 01:56:00 AM WILMINGTON OH UNITED STATES Arrival Scan
March 10, 2008 11:54:00 PM HOUSTON TX UNITED STATES Departure Scan
March 10, 2008 11:29:00 PM HOUSTON TX UNITED STATES Arrival Scan
March 10, 2008 10:35:00 PM CYPRESS/HOUSTON TX UNITED STATES
Departure Scan
March 10, 2008 12:48:00 PM CYPRESS/HOUSTON TX UNITED STATES In
transit
March 10, 2008 08:22:00 AM CYPRESS/HOUSTON TX UNITED STATES Arrival
Scan
March 4, 2008 10:27:00 PM PHOENIX AZ UNITED STATES Departure Scan
March 4, 2008 10:13:00 PM PHOENIX AZ UNITED STATES Arrival Scan
March 4, 2008 06:15:00 PM WILMINGTON OH UNITED STATES Departure
Scan
March 4, 2008 05:09:00 PM AURORA CO UNITED STATES Departure Scan
March 4, 2008 05:03:00 PM AURORA CO UNITED STATES Arrival Scan

The package traveled all over the US, back and forth, wasting valuable days
on something I needed right away. Then they lied and said they attempted
delivery a week later. They then turned it over to the USPS in some sort of
contractual deal that Amazon has for undelivered DSL (and FedEx?) packages
and we got it the next day. So any way, in my opinion, they suck.

Phil