Re: [BKARTS] Odor-free cloth/felt liner material for enclosures?

Hi Cara,
It's possible that the smell might be from the adhesive that was used that has developed mould. If you recover them you will probably just delay the smell coming in again. Have you tried to remove a bit from one and see if the smell increases? The problem with a lot of the new felt like materials and ultraseude etc is that it breaks down eventually with either a formaldehyde or a vinegar smell as do some of the adhesives.
Sorry no solutions,
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Cara Schlesinger wrote:
Hi all,

I've been asked by a rare book collector for whom I build enclosures to fix or rebuild some rather costly clamshell boxes in his collection. They were lined with a lightweight, velvety sort of fabric that's softer for the books than paper, but all of these boxes (which are not terribly old; built maybe in the past ten or so years) developed a musty sort of smell that's starting to infect the books. Ideally he'd have me somehow treat the boxes out so they don't smell, but my guess is that if the aging fabric itself developed the odor, any sort of odor-eating treatment would only be temporary. If I have to pull and reline the trays, I'd like to use something that won't go smelly on him. Does anyone have any suggestions for a material to use, or has anyone run into this with enclosures before?

Thanks much,
Cara

Cara Schlesinger
Faenwyl Bindery