Re: [BKARTS] Odor-free cloth/felt liner material for enclosures?

Certainly worth a try.
Signa

Jim Karr wrote:
Why not put the book in a plastic bag with Baking Soda, as you would in your fridge to suck up the odor. Cheap and effective... right????

Judy wrote:
Hi, Cara,

I've used UltraSuede, but that might be too expensive for your use. It's a wonderful product, inert I think, and goes on with PVA rolled on with a paint roller. Good felt is another substitute, if the thickness can be tolerated. But TRY VERY HARD to remove the smell before replacing the lining. I don't know what to suggest.

A few years ago, some of the books in a Hand bookbinders of California exhibit at the SF Public Library came out of the cases smelling terrible. It turned out that the carpenter who made the "risers" which were used in the cases were off-gassing some very musty smells. I tried everything from cat litter to Locker Room Deodorizer (or some similar name) and my book still smells; coffee grounds have been suggested as has charcoal--lock the smelly object in a plastic bag with whatever for awhile. I don't know that anybody has every come up with something that truly deodorizes a book once infected with a bad smell. I have seen sheets of that anti-static stuff you put into the dryer, but it has its own foul smell. Sunlight might work, but that's hazardous to other parts of the book.

Hope that otherwise you're well and happy!

Signa

Cara Schlesinger wrote:
Hi all,

I've been asked by a rare book collector for whom I build enclosures to fix or rebuild some rather costly clamshell boxes in his collection. They were lined with a lightweight, velvety sort of fabric that's softer for the books than paper, but all of these boxes (which are not terribly old; built maybe in the past ten or so years) developed a musty sort of smell that's starting to infect the books. Ideally he'd have me somehow treat the boxes out so they don't smell, but my guess is that if the aging fabric itself developed the odor, any sort of odor-eating treatment would only be temporary. If I have to pull and reline the trays, I'd like to use something that won't go smelly on him. Does anyone have any suggestions for a material to use, or has anyone run into this with enclosures before?

Thanks much,
Cara

Cara Schlesinger
Faenwyl Bindery