[BKARTS] artists' books cataloged on OCLC

Several years ago, I attended a presentation by a librarian in charge of an
artists' book archive. One of her comments stuck with me. Which was that
students are often drafted to make catalog entries, and they rarely
understand the nature of these materials, so the entries in OCLC are often
erroneous in many respects. Since other librarians copy their information
from each other, errors increase exponentially.

If you are an author/artist with books in library collections, I think it
would be a good idea to check OCLC to see how your material is listed, and
to contact libraries where the entries are in error.

Some general market books are published with catalog entry information on
the copyright page. Perhaps it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself
with standard cataloging formats, and to include the cataloging information
with any books that you sell to institutional collections (if you don't want
to include it in the work itself).

OCLC is a resource that booksellers often use, but I can assure you that it
is often fairly sloppy.

Cheers, Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper