[BKARTS] Stiffening Paper

Hello -

I call upon the wisdom of the list to help me with something. I am looking for inventive ways of making my own handmade paper strong and stiff for sculptural applications. I have tried epoxy, wax, PVA, various GACs, gel medium(that is all I can remember off the top of me head right now) all of which are just not quite good enough. I would like to retain as much of the original surface quality of the sheet as possible. Epoxy was the best stiffness, but took a while to cure, and made the sheet transparent ( I do like the smell though!). Would like to avoid pulling super thick sheets to improve the structural quality as this will result in a completely opaque sheet. Any thoughts? Am I just asking too much of the medium?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

The Press at Colorado College 14 E. Cache la Poudre Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719.389.6376 colin.frazer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx