From: Colin Frazer <colin.frazer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:16:09 AM
Subject: [BKARTS] Stiffening Paper

Hello -

I call upon the wisdom of the list to help me with something.  I am
looking for inventive ways of making my own handmade paper strong and
stiff for sculptural applications.  I have tried epoxy, wax, PVA,
various GACs, gel medium(that is all I can remember off the top of me
head right now) all of which are just not quite good enough.  I would
like to retain as much of the original surface quality of the sheet as
possible.  Epoxy was the best stiffness, but took a while to cure, and
made the sheet transparent ( I do like the smell though!).  Would like
to avoid pulling super thick sheets to improve the structural quality
as this will result in a completely opaque sheet.  Any thoughts?  Am I
just asking too much of the medium?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

The Press at Colorado College