Re: [BKARTS] Contemporary Mayan Books

Hooray. All of the books from Mexico have been taken.
Many thanks go to the collectors and institutions who
supported this project. Ambar Past reports that after
three decades the cooperative is trying something new:
salaries for the people who work there.

There are enough requests for more books that we can
put in another bulk order. Please let me know by
Monday afternoon if you would like to participate. It
will take about two weeks for the books to arrive.
Responding off list would be appreciated. Also, let us
know if you would like to receive snail-mail notices.
Mailings usually go out several weeks before the
information is posted online.

If you would like to know what the fuss is all about,
there are photos and descriptions at
www.artistbooks.com  Click on the Mayan Book icon. The
information is correct except for the part about the
titles being in stock.

Any institution that is interested in a dynamite,
jaw-dropping book exhibition should consider
displaying the work of this cooperative. They have
been been making paper, books, posters, cards, and
other fun stuff for over 30 years. They have created a
wide range of imaginative and inspiring books.  The
founder, poet Ambar Past, gives an excellent,
eye-opening lecture that traces the history of poetry
and books in the Mayan culture from before the Spanish
arrived to the present time.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or
suggestions.

Ed Hutchins