[BKARTS] Lubricant for Vaggelli Book Press

We have two Vaggelli book presses that are becoming increasingly
difficult to crank up & down. I assume we need to clean off the old
grease using something like alcohol or acetone & then reapply an
appropriate lubricant. I've been told a multipurpose black Lithium
wheel-bearing grease is what's needed. Is the cleaning method correct
and is there a specific brand of grease & vendor we might use?

David Jahn

Preservation Dep't. 0175N

Geisel Library

University of California, San Diego