Re: [BKARTS] Lubricant for Vaggelli Book Press

Admittedly, I give this advise not knowing precisely what a Vaggelli press
is.  I do, however, have experience in mechanics and metalwork, and I am
confident that I do a great job taking care of my department's equipment --
much better than my predecessors have.

Usually, whatever old grease you can wipe/scrub off with a rag is good
enough.  If you really want to get *all* the old stuff off first, you'll
have to do some minor disassembly so that you can clean moving parts
outdoors (you don't want airborne toxic/corrosive chemicals in your
bindery).  Get a coarse nylon cleaning brush and start cleaning with WD-40
to get any deposits of old dirt and grease out of threads and crevices.
Then switch to brake cleaner (aerosol can, available at Wal-Mart or any
automotive supply, try not to breathe the fumes) to remove any remaining
grease deposits and all the WD-40 residue.  It will evaporate completely
within a few seconds leaving very clean parts and virtually no residue.

I grease all my presses with a multipurpose molybdenum infused lithium
grease (black), using a microspatula to work it into threads and moving
parts.  It will bond to metal parts and stay put even under extreme
pressure.  General purpose lithium grease (translucent yellow or
greenish-brown color) will not stay put under pressure as well as a Moly
grease, and you'll find yourself needing to re-grease much more often.

Chad Longley
Preservation Coordinator
Brown Library
Abilene Christian University