To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 4:32 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Lubricant for Vaggelli Book Press

We have two Vaggelli book presses that are becoming increasingly difficult to crank up & down. I assume we need to clean off the old grease using something like alcohol or acetone & then reapply an appropriate lubricant. I've been told a multipurpose black Lithium wheel-bearing grease is what's needed. Is the cleaning method correct and is there a specific brand of grease & vendor we might use?

David Jahn

Preservation Dep't. 0175N

Geisel Library

University of California, San Diego