[BKARTS] lying press & plough history

Anyone know when the lying press & plough was developed for trimming book edges? I looked through my books and found a picture from the 1700's but does the technology go back much earlier? And was anything used to trim before then?

Mark Arend Oshkosh Wisc.

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
---Groucho Marx