From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Arend
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:07 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] lying press & plough history

Anyone know when the lying press & plough was developed for trimming book edges?  I looked through my books and found a picture from the 1700's but does the technology go back much earlier?  And was anything used to trim before then?

Mark Arend
Oshkosh Wisc.

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
                         ---Groucho Marx