Re: [BKARTS] Toronto/Vancouver

Does anyone have a favorite place to visit in Toronto or Vancouver, book related or otherwise?

I'll second Margaret's recommendation for Granville Island. Apart from Paper-Ya, there are several bookbinding and letterpress shops/studios on the island to stop in at, particularly along Railway Avenue.

Pop into any artsy/gallery space and pick up their extensive brochure to plot your travels: be warned, many are not open Mondays (ditto Tuesdays for some as well). (And if you pop into Ann Vincente's shop, please tell her I said "hi.")

For an adventure further afield, you might also wish to track down Jim Rimmer, whose Pie Tree Press is located in New Westminster, a relaxing train ride and stiff uphill walk from downtown Van.

Jim designs and casts his own typefaces onsite, among other things, and is an amazing and generous gentlman. We were fortunate enough to spend 90 minutes with him last fall when we were out for the Alcuin Society's Wayzgoose.

You might also want to check out the Society's website for activities (http://www.alcuinsociety.com/): they have some amazing publications.

Cheers
Linda