Re: [BKARTS] printing on book board for children's books

Are you talking about the toddlers' board books? Where you have heavy (it's not quite bookboard weight - more like the weight of cereal-box cardboard) board, with paper laminated on top, and glued back to back to make the pages of the books?

I have a lot of these little books lying around from my kids and have often wondered how they're made, too. But a closer look reveals that there's a semi-glossy, fine paper layer on top of the board, not ink printed directly on the boards themselves. My guess is that the paper is laminated first to one side of the board (or the two layers of pulp flowed together then pressed and dried?), then the book is printed, then the pages trimmed to size, then glued and finished.

The thickness of the pages is a scant 1/16", so your board couldn't be more than 1/32", then glued back to back to make the pages. Is this a limited-run edition? Aside from them engaging a large printer overseas, I think it could be done from locally-available materials. Wouldn't the trick be a clean lamination of paper to board?

Good luck!

Kathy