[BKARTS] Book Arts in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

There are many ways in our community for people who love books to become involved.

The Midwest Book and Manuscript Studies page has links to the workshops and courses that are offered through the University of Illinois: http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/programs/mbms/
Already this year I have taught two binding workshops for this organization: The Italian Pamphlet and a Box-making workshop. More workshops will be announced ahead of time on my website.http://www.beanettles.com/
There will be a two week letterpress printing class taught through MBMS this summer by Steve Kostell.

We also have begun a community fine letterpress called the Soybean Press. Memberships and more information as to how you can participate are available at this website:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/rbx/Soybean Press.html A recent project was a broadside of the artist/author Audrey Niffenegger, who visited my printmaking class and delivered a MillerComm address.

Every April, the library hosts the C-U Edible Book Festival: http://www.library.uiuc.edu/ediblebooks/

The Rare Book and Manuscript Library is a huge resource at our University. Their site has links to many of the others I have listed here:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/rbx/ They also sponsor a book collector's club with monthly events called the Number 44 Society: http://www.library.uiuc.edu/rbx/no44.htm

It is possible to volunteer one's skills to the Conservation Lab. Click here to take a virtual tour:http://www.library.uiuc.edu/prescons/conservation.htm

Sometimes there are community classes offered at Parkland College: http://www.parkland.edu/

And finally, we have a fine University Press. Once a year there is an excellent exhibition of award winning university press books hosted by Cope Cumpston, the Art Director: http://www.press.uillinois.edu/

For the past several years I have taught studio and seminar classes in Book Arts through the School of Art and Design and the Campus Honors program. The student books can be seen: http://web.mac.com/nettles3/Student_books/ABC_Books.html
I also taught a seminar for GSLIS (Graduate School of Library and Information Science). I am retiring at the end of this month from full time teaching, but will be offering workshops in Champaign-Urbana through MBMS and around the USA.

Bookmark some of these sites and you will be kept informed of many of the activities in our area. Enjoy!

Bea Nettles
Professor, Art and Design
University of Illinois
http://www.beanettles.com/