Re: [BKARTS] How to print the same book on two sizes of paper

Hey Jeremy,

One of my design clients is a small academic book publisher that was originally based at the University of Alberta here in Edmonton, Canada, but moved to the University of New South Wales in Sydney when the prof here retired and the logical successor was over there. So I now design books for them on A5 for all new volumes, unless its a Jane Austen work which they continue to put out in letterhalf so that they can hopefully put out a boxed set one day. Based on that factor, and the timing and location of the most critical first delivery, they also choose whether they print here or in Sydney.

On the one hand, the Robert Bringhurst disciple in me says you must adapt the design to the page. Of course, that's the same voice that also says I should also letterpress everything onto handmade paper and bind it in leather!

That said, designers are also pragmatic people and I've been pondering just this issue in terms of this client, anticipating the possibility that they may at some point wish to print simultaneously in Australia and Canada. The simplest solution I've arrived at so far is to design for a page that is 5.5 inches wide (letterhalf) and 21 cm tall (A5), the smaller of the two dimensions in each case. Anchor your top and inside margins and go from there. Basically you end up with the "luxury" of an extra 0.3268 inches on outside margin on the Australian version and 0.59 cm more bottom margin on the North American. You'll need to fiddle around with the actual file before sending to the different printers, making sure the software you use doesn't mess things up when you change the page size, but ultimately your textblock and design relative to the top of the spine should stay the same.

I appease my inner Bringhurst by figuring that back in the days of untrimmed edges, there probably was that much variation in the finished page size anyways!

Hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes, and welcome to the list!

Winston

---

Winston Pei, BA, MA, MGDC
Black Riders Design