From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Charles Brownson
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:27 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age

Hmm. Yes I'm familiar with Benjamin -- his concept of aura informs my
thinking on artists books and digital objects -- see the "studio goals"
tab on my website ocotilloarts.com -- and the Arcades Project is near at
hand for casual moments. But I hadn't thought of it in this context. Of
course the parallel ought to have been obvious. The authentic reading
experience requires a paper book, while those who can't afford
authenticity make do with a digital simulacrum. The difficulty is, what
Benjamin wouldn't have seen the point of looking into, why are these
tastes, these  definitions of authentic in the absence of a hegemony, so
persistent?  I was thinking of the tendency of material technology to
hang on way past its usefulness and I wondered if someone writing from
another context had anything to say.
   Haven't had an opportunity to scrute WOID yet.
Charles
exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx