From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Malcolm
Sent: Thursday, 24 April 2008 10:49 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] How to print the same book on two sizes of paper

Hello,

I have just joined this list because I am self-publishing a book based
on my PhD thesis.  However I loathe how ugly most self-published books
are, and I don't want mine to be one of them.  Hence I have typeset it
using LaTeX with the Memoir class (I know this isn't a LaTeX list so I
won't go into more detail than that), and it looks quite beautiful.

HOWEVER...

For cost reasons, I need to print the book separately in Australia
(where I live) and in the US and Europe, and the printers do not share
a common size of paper stock.  In Australia, the paper size I can
afford to publish on is A5 (148 mm x 210 mm), whereas overseas the
closest size is half-letter (5.5" x 8.5", or 140 mm x 216 mm).

I would really like to be able to set my text only once, though, so
that the page numbering is identical between the Australian and the
overseas editions.  I have tried formatting for half-letter and
scaling it up or cropping it down to A5, and vice versa, and I am
unhappy with the results in each case.

Does anyone have any experience they can share about formatting a book
so that it looks correct on both sizes of paper?

Many thanks.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor