Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age

Wow. I'm not used to seeing words like "hegemony" on the Book Arts Discussion List. I'm impressed. Fascinating discussion, by the way.

Here at the Wimberly Library at Florida Atlantic University, we're currently looking at a vast wall in our main lobby with the idea of creating a mural upon it, and there is no limit to what we are considering at this point. Ideas range from the very traditional (a WPA style painted or tiled Florida history) to the very non- traditional (a media wall, perhaps). The point was made recently that in the not too distant future, the very nature of that lobby, which currently is a place where students and visitors can check email and Internet through one of the dozens of computers in place there, will most likely change dramatically... the person making that point suggesting that computers will soon enough evolve into things we wear on us, rather than stationary things we go to. So that vast bank of computers in the lobby will most likely be gone eventually, which gives us something more to ponder in considering our wall and what gets placed upon it.

How this relates to books, I can't exactly say... but I do find it fascinating the way even libraries evolve as vehicles themselves.

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Boca Raton, Florida
http://www.jaffecollection.org