From: "Motte & Bailey, Booksellers" <motte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 8:12:37 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age

What Diane Baker said is key to the continued dominance of the codex
book. I should print these parts out in particular and put them up
behind my desk:

"Books are economical to create.  They are easily distributed, easily
stored, easily accessed.  They are user friendly.  One can put down a
book and pick it up, returning to the exact place with great
efficiency.  They can be shared.  One copy can serve many.
Digitizing books has its uses, but is also dangerous.  How easy would
it be to alter a digitized book?  How could we tell?  How easy to
block access?  To raise the price beyond accessibility?
So, books persist because they are efficient.  Their physical nature
safeguards accessibility."

Champions of digital books (I think of digital books as  dybbuks or
dibbuks -   dislocated souls or ghosts in Hebrew mythology)  who
promote the demise of the codex are sometimes their own worst enemy.
They misunderstand much of what Diane noted above, and that the
sometimes onerous proprietary formatting, restrictive rights management
and expensive, short-lived reading devices (dybbuk boxes?) they support
all make a codex better than a dybbuk for both long term and short term
use. I do not see reading codex or dybbuk versions of a book more or
less authentic than the other (if both have the same content), but I do
see variation in utility and long term use.

Now, I do not mean to say digitizing content is not useful - we all
know it is indeed, for a host of reasons. Not all digital however books
are the same, and the presentation of information can affect that
information's use and understanding greatly. So, I fear I must disagree
with Brownson - the package is VERY VERY relevant. It is more than just
cultural or aesthetic.  I unfortunately do not have any bedside reading
suggestions tho.

Gene Alloway
Motte & Bailey Booksellers
212 N. 4th Ave