[BKARTS] How to become an artisan bookbinder, from soup to nuts

Howdy.

I have a question.

Context: I'm exploring jobs and careers for self-employment. I have taken a couple of bookbinding workshops. I find books to be fascinating. I have thought about working towards the skills I would need to create artisan blank books, restore old books, and provide production services like proofreading and indexing for publishers. So far, I've run into the internship program at Arion Press in San Francisco, several MFA programs, and the two-year program at the North Bennett Street School in Boston. My feeling is that the internship at Arion is too poorly-paid relative to living costs in SF (four years at $10/hr), the MFA programs require more artistry than I currently profess, and the two-year program at NBSS would leave me $60k in debt.

Questions: How does one develop bookbinding and letterpress printing as a career-track craft? Are there working assistantships for this? Am I daft?

--
Dan Kappus
415.446.8419