Re: [BKARTS] How to become an artisan bookbinder, from soup to nuts

I wouldn't assume that the MFA programs do, in fact, require more artistry than you [think you] profess. I'm a product of the MFA in the Book Arts Program at the University of Alabama, and most of my fellow students, for the years that I was there, did not have backgrounds in visual art.

That being said, I also am not convinced that the traditional university formula is the most conducive method of learning this stuff, as learning and executing a full leather passé carton binding, for instance, does not necessarily fit into the regimented time constraints of the 16-week semester system. But the MFA programs are a great way to be immersed in the book arts crafts, and they open many avenues to working with other printers and binders out there.

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library Boca Raton, Florida http://www.jaffecollection.org