Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age + word rap

Dave wrote:
>> 1. some of us don't bother to wrap our words because our e-mail programs do it for us. I was taught by a Unix guru not to do so since every e-mail reader treats hard returns differently

That's correct, Dave. I didn't mean that people should use word wrap in their e-mail client. In many programs that will fix the line length, and if you resize the screen smaller than the line length it becomes chopped up. Word wrap should be off. If you look at this e-mail in the archive and resize the window you will see the text rewraps to fit the window.

The problem with many of the e-mails in the archive is that they are set NOT to wrap to fit the window, so they stay as a string of one line per paragraph, no matter how long the paragraph. Your e-mail is set correctly.:

Here's an example of one ("Spike") that is not:
You have to scroll sideways to read the message.

The problem is that the control for this is not uniform from one e-mail client to the next, and different ones default differently, so those whose text is not behaving properly when viewed in a browser may need to play around a bit with their settings and check the results online.

>>2.Contrary to what most people think a digital book does change and almost every time it is read. Even a pdf of the book can be resized and it will look different depending upon whether one is using a wide screen monitor or a regular format one, a hand held device or projection device. Some people only "read" digital books by hearing them, a totally different format.

That is correct, but not what I was talking about. The digital file does not change. It may be read on a variety of machines and formatted to the taste of the reader, whether in a resized window in a favorite font or using text to speech and choosing a vocal pitch and speed. That is the wonderful feature of digital text. You also can output it and make a book that WILL change physically over time in response to handling, while the digital file remains the same. The digital file does not absorb the vibes of the reader and pass them on to the next reader. For every reader the file is fresh and new, ready to be formatted to the reader's preferences.

Richard
http://minsky.com
http://slartmagazine.com
http://centerforbookarts.org