Re: [BKARTS] Heated Forming Iron for Re-Shaping Spines?

Bob,
If my recollection is correct, you ask some very interesting and challenging questions, which is very good.

I have not worked with the plates that you describe, and I can only guess how and why they were used. But rather than speculate, I will offer two comments regarding the question of re-rounding spines:
1) If you have removed the old spine linings, and thus have cleaned the spine, you should be able to reshape the spine while it is still damp and ready for relining.
2) The spines of some bound books may have taken on a cocked shape since the book was most likely used only from front to back. A trick that I have used quite successfully, and probably used by many others, but may not be written anywhere: To open the book from the Back to the Front, carefully running one's hand down the gutter. If this is done a few times, and the book is reshaped when the covers are closed, this seems to correct many of the troubles. Then the reshaped book can be stored under a weight for a period of time to help refresh its memory. Of course, this same trick could be tried on a newly relined book, just as opening from the front to the back, and then from the back to the front should be done on any new book.
Bill Minter