[BKARTS] What is a publisher (was Re: [BKARTS] self-publishing via web sites)

I wonder what being a publisher really means these days. ISBNs are available in blocks of 10 for $25 bucks each. If I print and bind a book (not that I can do that, really) well, golly-gee, I'm a publisher! Now I just need someone to promote this book.

-dk

Paramount Publishing wrote:
Ellen

Why don't you skip the middle-man (Lulu) and go straight to their printer -
www.lightningsource.com

You'll also get full distribution (UK, US, EURO) along with the much better
pricing.

(You won't really need to 'take around to publishers' as you'll be the
publisher.)

Ta
Kristy

-----Original Message----- From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of seawall Sent: Monday, 28 April 2008 12:34 AM To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [BKARTS] self-publishing via web sites

has anyone out there published on either lulu.com or blurb.com, one or the other or both?
or another self-publishing site?
i am wondering if one is better than the other.....in terms of easiness to use, programs, quality of printing etc, especially where reproduction of photographs is concerned.
also, what happens to copyright using those sites- does it remain with the artist? i ask because i'd like to create a few small books to then take around to publishers......

thanks in advance for your time & your knowledge & your thoughts on this.

ellen
www.ellenwallenstein.com

--
Dan Kappus