Re: [BKARTS] How to become an artisan bookbinder, from soup to nuts

Dan,

I learned much about binding in my five years on the job as a Conservation Technician at Cornell Library. After leaving town, I had enough skill to begin my own business, primarily doing conservation work, and occasionally new bindings. I have had to supplement my job experience with some workshops to fill in some gaps in my skills at new bindings. Work with rare and special collections also gave me a chance to see many, many traditionally bound books.

Beginning level technician jobs often don't require a lot of experience; they primarily require good hand skills and a willingness to do repetitive tasks efficiently. The pay is generally not stellar, but usually more than $10/hr. It may be a way for you to earn a living while becoming a bookbinder as well.

SAMANTHA COUTURE_______________________
Flyleaf Bindery
	book conservation		4 Cucumber Alley
                      				Schenectady, NY  12305