Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age + word rap

Try accessing a wire recording, or even a document saved on a 5.25" floppy. I have a complete book that I translated in 1989 on a 5.25" floppy. I will need to pay to have it restored if I should need it again. The disk itself may not even be good any more.
Hi Jules et al,

Been following this thread with a smile. A big smile! And you are both right.

Yet, the 5.25 in floppy if stored in required conditions can still be read by an external floppy drive attached to your computer. They are still available from computer storefronts.

The also obsolete diskettes, zips, microdrives, etc can also be read with external devices which can later be sold at a profit to some computer geek in too much of a hurry to go to a storefront, or you can charge them to transfer the floppies etc to another media.

At this point, I am transferring all my CDs to DVDs, harddrives and online storage. Online storage is cheap and the best alternative, also keep a copy of your valuable stuff in a fireproof and waterproof safe.

Books can be eaten by termites, fade and decompose in adverse conditions. Also, in a house fire you can lose some valuable books not to mention electronics if they were not properly conditioned. (I experienced a house fire. The apt. above mine burned the 75% of the building, lost some out of print books, and what I saved is still smelling of smoke after 11 years, although that smell is fading.)

My 2 cents.
Monique

***********************************************
NOW ONLINE, The Bonefolder, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2008 at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.

[CoOL]

Search BookArts Archives

This page last changed: April 28, 2008