Re: [BKARTS] relevance of the book in the internet age + word rap

I found Umberto Eco's words (as much about libraries as books) comforting,

It happens frequently that in newspaper articles or academic papers some
> authors, facing the new computer and internet era, speak of the possible
> "death of books". However, if books are to disappear, as did the obelisks or
> the clay tablets of ancient civilisations, this would not be a good reason
> to abolish libraries. On the contrary, they should survive as museums
> conserving the finds of the past, in the same way as we conserve the Rosetta
> Stone in a museum because we are no longer accustomed to carving our
> documents on mineral surfaces.
>
> Yet, my praise for libraries will be a little more optimistic. I belong to
> the people who still believe that printed books have a future and that all
> fears *à propos* of their disappearance are only the last example of other
> fears, or of milleniaristic terrors about the end of something, the world
> included.

Since your local library, (like mine) probably doesn't have a copy of
Al-Ahram Weekly from 2003 (bully for you if it does, you lucky thing), here
is a link
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/665/bo3.htm