Date:    Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:10:19 -0400
From:    William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Heated Forming Iron for Re-Shaping Spines?

Bob,
If my recollection is correct, you ask some very interesting and
challenging questions, which is very good.

I have not worked with the plates that you describe, and I can only
guess how and why they were used. But rather than speculate, I will
offer two comments regarding the question of re-rounding spines:
1)  If you have removed the old spine linings, and thus have cleaned
the spine, you should be able to reshape the spine while it is still
damp and ready for relining.
2)  The spines of some bound books may have taken on a cocked shape
since the book was most likely used only from front to back. A trick
that I have used quite successfully, and probably used by many
others, but may not be written anywhere:  To open the book from the
Back to the Front, carefully running one's hand down the gutter. If
this is done a few times, and the book is reshaped when the covers
are closed, this seems to correct many of the troubles. Then the
reshaped book can be stored under a weight for a period of time to
help refresh its memory. Of course, this same trick could be tried on
a newly relined book, just as opening from the front to the back, and
then from the back to the front  should be done on any new book.
Bill Minter

On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:08 PM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Have any of you experimented with heated forms for re-rounding
> spines? I've often wondered if a curved heating plate would help
> some old spines resume their shape and have been fiddling while
> wondering if I'm re-inventing something already common.
>
> Bob Roberts

Scott K. Kellar
Bookbinding & Conservation
http://www.scottkkellar.com/