Re: [BKARTS] self-publishing via web sites

Ben,

I didn't say that either Blurb or Lulu owned the facilities that they use to
produce their books, I was just making the point that they used HP Indigo
and Xerox iGen technologies respectively to produce them, and that in
general HP Indigo has the edge on iGen for image reproduction.

As far as quality, neither Indigo nor iGen are close to the quality of
really high end 300-line sheet-fed offset or the near continuous-tone look
of archival inkjet printers like Epson. Both Indigo and iGen have improved a
lot in the last few years, but this is still apples to oranges and the
difference in production cost is huge. Although you don't say so, I assume
that you are using inkjet, or as the gallery and museum's like to
euphemistically call it gicleé. (Thankfully this silly nomenclature conceit,
gicleé, seems to be disappearing as the acceptability of 'digital inkjet'
output appears to be gaining respectability.)

By the way, from what I understand, Booksurge, which is owned by Amazon,
also outsources all production. This seems to be standard for most of these
companies. Apple's iPhoto reportedly uses MyPublisher, which uses HP Indigo.

Phil