[BKARTS] really ugly typeface

I must say, I can usually figure out a rationale for even awkward typefaces,
but I can't think of any reason why this one was used for this application:

http://americanart.si.edu/search/artist_bio.cfm?StartRow=1&ID=2052

I'd love to be enlightened, but I find this hard to read, unbalanced, and
disturbing.

Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper