From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anne
Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:08 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] smeary paper?

Hello all,

I bought a sheet of beautiful dark-green hand-marbled paper at a fine
store in London for 1/2 off because it had some defects (big
thumbprints, etc.) and just discovered that the ink comes off on my
hand!! I've already used the paper to bind a blank journal, so I'm
looking for a quick solution so that the book's recipient doesn't
have to wash her hands every time she writes in it. I remember
spraying hair-spray on charcoal drawings to "fix" the charcoal and
keep it from smearing, would that work here?

And, a separate question prompted by equal parts ignorance and
indignation- is fixing the ink the last part of the process of hand-
marbling paper that in this case the paper-makers decided to forego
since the paper was defective anyway? If so, shouldn't the store have
told buyers that this one last step hadn't been performed? (I know,
caveat emptor, but still...)

Thank you,

Annie

____________________

"Reading is inescapably a social act."
- From John Clifford's introduction to a collection of articles  on
Louise Rosenblatt's seminal Literature as Exploration.
____________________

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Williams College