[BKARTS] secret belgian and cross structure binding workshops in San Diego, CA USA

Cross-Structure: June 14, 2008, 9 am–4 pm
Secret Belgian Binding: June 15, 2008, 9 am–4 pm
Each workshop: $75.00 members, $100.00 nonmembers
Take both: $125.00 members, $165.00 nonmembers
Workshops at the Pat D'Arrigo ARTS Center in San Diego's new Liberty Station

The Cross-Structure is a contemporary non-adhesive binding that resulted from Carmencho Arrugui's study of pre-16th century bindings. This variation was developed by Hedi Kyle and uses on long strip of a heavy cover paper with paste paper patterns on both sides, folded in such a way that the covers are double thicknesses. The text block is sewn directly into the cover using strips that are laced through the spine and folded around to form a decorative pattern.

The Secret Belgian Binding is a historical binding, rediscovered by Hedi Kyle. It yields an attractive and very sturdy book with a decorative pattern of colored waxed linen threads on the spine. The two covers and the spine piece are constructed of binder's board covered with paper, other decorative paper or cloth; the three pieces are separate until sewn onto the text block. The text block is sewn separately, and then the covers are sewn on with a pattern of stitches that traps the spine in place.
Both workshops will be taught by Emily Martin.
The San Diego Book Arts group website is http://www.sandiegobookarts.com.

I will also be giving a public lecture June 13, 2008, at 7:30 at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla, CA. It is free to San Diego Book Arts members and the public.

To see samples of the binding structures go to:
http://www.emilymartin.com/workshops.htm and scroll down a little
or to see my use of the Secret Belgian binding for one of my own editions go to:
http://www.emilymartin.com/gallery.htm

Emily Martin
The Naughty Dog Press

251 Manchester Lane
Iowa City, IA 52245 USA
319 338-5741

http://www.emilymartin.com
emilyjmartin@xxxxxxxxx

The University of Iowa Center for the Book
emily-martin@xxxxxxxxx