From: Ballard, Mary [mailto:BallardM@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:58 PM
To: William Minter; Jane Thompson
Subject: RE: archival tissue

Hi. Bill-and Ms.Thompson: We are working on a large costume collection
now and it is very much easier to use unbuffered acid free tissue.
Ostensibly the calcium carbonate does not leach out but there is not
"acid rain" here in the atmosphere to need the sacrificial additive. We
are using two weights-the lightweight 12 pound for interleaving and the
heavier 20 pound for lining (the inside sling for removing/holding the
garment). We write the accession number on the top outside layer in
pencil. Suppliers are listed on our website at
http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/acidfree.html We
buy the 250 foot rolls 36" wide. Hope this helps-and that everything
works out well. Mary

Mary W. Ballard

Senior Textiles Conservator,

Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution

4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.

tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709

email ballardm@xxxxxx